- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons cider or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes, lightly drained
- 1 14 ounce can small white beans (cannellini. goya or navy) or black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 large bag of your favorite tortilla chips
- 2 cups of your favorite salsa
- 2 cups grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
For the turkey topping:
- Sauté turkey in a large skillet in olive oil. Break turkey into small pieces.
- Add cumin, oregano, salt, jalapeños while turkey is browning.
- When turkey is cooked, add flour and chili powder. Cook one minute.
- Add raisins, vinegar, sugar and tomatoes.
- Cook 5 minutes or so stirring often until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Stir in beans.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Generously cover a large baking sheet with tortilla chips.
- Spoon one half turkey mixture and one cup salsa over chips.
- Top with one cup cheese.
- Bake for 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
- When the nachos are devoured, repeat the piling and the baking with remaining ingredients.
Makes 8 appetizer servings.